Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Burda 12/2009 Jacket

I've embarked on this jacket from Burda's December 2009 mag.  I've prepared a muslin, worked out the fitting changes that need to be made and all is looking good so far.

Not that you could really tell from the magazine photo, but the more detailed photo on their website and line drawing seem to show a very cute, easy to make and wearable jacket.  I've been subscribing to Burda Magazine for a while and have hardly made anything from it.  I will go back and re-inspect my Burdas after this as there may be other hidden wardrobe gems.  

The pattern only goes up to a size 42 but I just added 2cm to each side seam and it fits fine.   The muslin indicated the need for a narrow back adjustment (for which I used this Sandra Betzina article Threads link), and a narrow shoulder adjustment.  A couple of inches also need to be added to the hem, as there is no hem facing and the jacket is pretty short. Apart from that all is looking promising.    The jacket is very simple in construction and there isn't much sewing involved.  This garment seems to depend more on preparation and inner construction - getting the fit right and interfacing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment