Thursday, July 22, 2010

A pattern review

I'm finally getting around to doing some reviews on Pattern Review for the Burda biker jacket and the t-shirts I've recently made.   Phew.  I got a bit bogged down on the last tasks on these - and you are probably a bit sick of seeing them too.  Glad to have totally finished them and very ready to go onto something else.

The first (I'll post the other one tomorrow)...

Burda 12/2009 biker style jacket
Pattern Photo:           
Pattern Rating:           Highly Recommend
Pattern Description:   Biker style jacket.

Pattern Sizing:          36-44. I made a 42 with 2cm added to side seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?   It would have done, except for my fabric and some minor style modifications.

Were the instructions easy to follow?   They don't look too bad. I just find Burda instructions rather bamboozling and tend to read them only if I get stuck. The style is not very difficult to make.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  This is a nice biker style jacket and is quite versatile depending on how you make it up. It fits nicely and is relatively easy to make.

Fabric Used:      Not entirely sure -there is definitely metallic - and I would guess that there is some viscose or linen.  Bought from Fabulous Fabrics in Perth.  It is lined with a gold coloured silk habutai lining. And the zip is a lovely decorative bronze metallic zipper from Britex.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:   I did my usual narrow back adjustment and narrow shoulder adjustment - note that the shoulders are very roomy and I had to reduce them more than usual. My pockets are also different. Instead of zip pockets (I didn't have zips that matched my main zips) I did flap and welt pockets (the pattern pieces came from Burda 9/2008 Model 121). I also added an epaulette.

My interfacing is more like a tailored jacket in that I have fairly seriously interfaced the shoulders. 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I would definitely recommend it. I love this style of jacket.

Conclusion:          Very nice little jacket and blessedly easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment