Friday, April 15, 2011

Manequim 622

I was chatting to a Brazilian woman about Manequim the other day - and please excuse me Portuguese speakers as I may be completely wrong and mangling your language - but I think it is pronounced like 'Manikin' but with an 'ee' instead of the last 'i'. So, Manikeeen. I was wondering if I could ask her to translate if I got stuck with a pattern but then I wondered how good the instructions were even if you read the language.

I can't understand the instructions in the English language Burda Style. What are Patrones and Manequim instructions like from the point of view of Spanish or Portuguese speaking sewers? I'd be really interested to know.
Manequim is in my mind as the April Mag arrived.  We are getting into early autumn styles in the Southern Hemisphere.  And they have the usual nice Manequim mix of styles and types of garments.  When I think about it they do tend to provide a nice range each month.  

First up is one of those interesting versatile pieces.  From the diagram I think it is in fact a sleeveless 'cosy'. 
The next section is styles inspired by actresses on a TV production. A nice set of separates and dresses save for one crime against fashion - the patterned jumpsuit in the photo on the actress is downright scary.
The next section I think is called 'the new long' and consists of 1970s inspired styles.  This is a pretty blouse.
And moving along... next up there are styles inspired by Missoni, although oddly with this one there are only 2 patterns.  Maybe Missoni is a bit hard to copy with all the knits.  The patterns are a cozy/cardigan and a pencil skirt.  
Chic Night comes next with some nice going out styles.  A jumpsuit, 2 dresses and 3 tops including this intriguing lace top.  It looks very pretty but I can't quite figure how it is made and Manequim does have teensy tiny diagrams. 
Oh I wish I read portuguese.  There is a spread about winter trends in fashion and notions.  I rather like the adventure one. 
There is also a plus size feature.   What I like about Manequim generally is that, as a matter of course, it shows styles on models that run the gamut of women's shapes. 

The fact that it does so is actually quite striking and makes me realise how brainwashed one becomes from most Australian /US/ European fashion magazines and fashion sites as they show a far more restricted range of body types.  

I know magazines trot out the argument that women don't want to look at clothes on people who aren't tall thin models but I wonder about that.  Manequim models express the range of normal body shapes and are no less stylish and the clothes are no less something you want to buy.
Anyway back to patterns, there is a nice little plus size wardrobe of 4 tops, skirt, 3 dresses and a jacket.
Last but not least, some separates.  I couldn't get away with these pleats but I love the pockets of these trousers.  Pretty black blouse too.
Actually, not quite last.  A gratuitous page of chocolate to look at! 

8 comments:

  1. Dear Jacquie,
    Manequim is a very old brazilian magazine. Some years ago the direction has changed and the quality also, with these skinny models, and sad figures that we know very well... The sells fell down and now, they're trying to make some changes and show normal people again...
    But I also miss the old version that had more pages and patterns too.

    The top: The round part, the ruffles(babados) and the bias(viés) are made on chiffon/silk musselina (not cotton muslin). The sleeves(mangas), the colar(gola) and the rest of the top is made in lace(renda). You have 2 drawings: the first for the parts in chiffon and the second for those in lace.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    where do you get those Manequim magazines? They look lovely. My sister lives in Spain, so once in a while, she brings me a Patrones magazine. I live in Belgium. At this very moment I'm tackeling the spanish instructions on a top. Luckely I can ask my sister for translations. But the instructions are complicated for her too.. I'm justed to using Knipmode (in Dutch), but I guess all sewing instructions are a bit vage and complicated. Good luck with your Manequim mag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heehee, you beat me to it this month, mine only arrived last week! We like a lot of the same things this time around, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to jump in on the figure types in magazines article... I think that it's all in the styling. I used to catch a train to my 9 to 5 job with a girl who was at least a size 14 with a heavy pair shape but if I saw her at the station I would spend most of my time waiting staring at her outfits.

    She was just so put together. She would wear berets, layers, knits, shirts, boots everything and pull it off with amazing styled hair. She wasn't beautiful or skinny but man she knew how to dress and accessorise.

    It's all in the styling I think.

    I love seeing clothing on a model with a figure more like mine but I'm inspired to make it when it's done up as a whole outfit and looks sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mom, that is really interesting that Manequim used to be better, and with more patterns. It must be the way of pattern mags these days, the same thing was the case with Patrones, and I understand maybe with Burda. I'm glad Manequim heard the message and brought back the normal models, it is one of its selling points for me. And thanks for the tips on how the blouse is made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Action Girl, I suspected that Patrones may have not so easy to follow instructions even to spanish speakers. They look very like Burda's. I understand that Manequim can now be found on ebay - if you do a worldwide search a few brazilian sellers have appeared. There is one in particular called Jupeme who seems to have the current mags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very true Cassandra. I love it when you see someone who has a lot of style and they just look fabulous. It doesn't matter what size they are, despite what fashion mags keep showing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it so funny that I'm here in Brazil craving for american patterns and you people buy these Manequim magazines from over there! It's a magazine form the early 60's, actually, if I am not wrong (I made a search for earlier patterns, but found nothing). We don't have those single patterns as you have in the US, just the magazines. I find the instructions easy to follow, as a Portuguese speaker, but i don't know a lot of people who sew and are not professional seamstresses (I am an excepetion). And that scary jumpsuit: the wardrobe for soap opera carachters is very complex here in Brazil (everything in soaps is). So, I don't watch that particular soap, but the magazine says "she's filthy rich and has an amazing self-esteem", and also that she has a strong personality. Probably that jumpsuit was made to reflect that. Most people do not wear that in the streets here. lol

    ReplyDelete